Even the rain stops sometimes... Week 1

 Zara was tapping out her speech for the conference on Sunshine Day when there was a knock on her door. A small blue figure entered the room. "Miss Taylor? can I ask a question?" Small Pizzaro entered the room. Her star student in the classroom. Always studying, always answering, always alone, never asking any questions. This sudden appearance startled her, she wasn't sure what he'd ask or if she could answer. 

"Yes Pizza, of course, how can I help you?" The small boy with his wide eyes and small mouth entered cautiously. He was probably afraid of the Sunshine Day. He had never seen a Sunshine Day. He was born the day after the last one ended 7 years ago. She remembered the last one vaguely. Most of all she remembered her relationship with Marizito and collapsing, as the day was so hot. She really hated Sunshine Day. She had never had a good one in her 70 years on the grey planet. 

Sunshine Day was the one day the rains stopped and the clouds part to bring out the hot, hot sun. It seems like everything dries for a day and many Venusians actually die, or as they would say, "part ways with the planet and go to the creator". The religion of the entire planet revolves around the constant rain, brought from the gods and the life-giving darkness they all receive from the clouds. 

"Miss Taylor, I'm afraid of sunshine day. What if the creator picks me and I have to go home?" Zara knew this was coming. Ever since her first Sunshine Day 63 years ago she always feared the same thing. Some people, religious zealots, honored and revered the Sunshine Day, they waited for it. They travelled the planet to experience it in every time zone once a year so they could have more of it. They were sunshine worshippers. Many of them died because of all the solar exposure their bodies were not used to, the gills on their necks dried up and they suffocate without the constant water in the air keeping their lungs moist. Their blue bodies turned red and they die. 

"Sunshine Day can be scary, but just don't be in the sun too long. It's hard because it's warm, but you will know when to come inside and away from it." She didn't know if he really would, but this Sunshine Day Zara was in charge of the bell to summon people inside for prayer. This was not mandatory, but it was a good reminder for people to go inside to their humid, muddy homes and stay out of the sun. 29 hours of Sun. A full day of Sun.  Some people came in and some stayed out and basked in it. Some of them lived through it, others died. Many had babies on Sunshine Day. It was the only day to have babies, but the last four yielded less children than the last 400 years and a few oddities- like Pizzaro, born the day after. 

"Miss Taylor, we live an average of 200 years. This is my first Sunshine Day; I want to see it and more. I don't want the creator to take me, I have so much to see and do." His eyes looked hopeful and sad at the same time. He was truly afraid of the celestial event, being the first being on the planet born after a Sunshine Day, he had reason to fear. He had never experienced the dry or the sun. Everyone had the same birthday- except him. The planet was changing.  

"Pizza, you will see and do more. I'm sure of it" The school bell rang and Pizzaro ran off to his friends. All Zara could think was how pointless it all was. 70 years. She was in the prime of her life. She should be having a child on Sunshine Day, and she didn't even have a mate. She pondered for a second staying out all Sunshine Day and letting the creator take her too. But she had work to do, a speech to write, and children that were not hers relying on her. She had an obligation to her society. She had also been chosen for the Sunshine Day speech, a huge honor. It would be broadcast to the 100,000 living beings on the planet. 

A second knock annoyed her, she could tell by the tone it was her principal, Skylar Downs. He was supportive, but annoying. 

"Miss Taylor? I need a second of your time." It was never a second, The tall Blue figure entered and didn't wait for her to answer. "I'm so extremely happy the community picked you to be the speaker and it's truly an honor for us to have you in our employ. Have you finished your speech yet? I'd like to review it if you don't mind." He seemed to be rambling and nervous. She'd never seen this before. 

"I'm terribly excited, in my 98 years and last Seven Sunshine days of working I have never known anyone chosen for this prestige. It is quite an honor they picked you." he continued; star struck by Zara. 

"Principal Downs, you are my employer, I have told you many times, just call me Zara, it's ok, there are no children around." She smiled with her small mouth and sharp teeth, "also, I am not done. I have been trying to do this, but I feel stumped."

"Let me help you, show me what you have".  This she was actually hoping for, she needed help and didn't want to ask. 

The two of them worked for hours. Zara had no more classes left for the day and she wasn't really sure what Downs had going on, but it couldn't have been that important. They worked until past mealtime and into when most were asleep.  Without noticing, the speech was nearly complete, it just needed final editing. 

"I must go home now. This is much better. I should do the final edit tomorrow with a clear head. It's not a school day, so I will have time." Zara told him firmly then added, "thank you for your help." She meant it, there was only one day before Sunshine Day, she never would have finished.

He smiled and looked deeply into her eyes. "It's my pleasure. Maybe when you are done with your edit you would like to go for a Sunshine Day Eve meal? My treat"

Zara's heart lifted a little. The planet was changing, perhaps things were changing for her as well. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amnesia City: Week 2

Week 6 Finding a Place